Mini Doughnut Baking Tins

Mini Doughnut Baking Tins

I’ve previously written about my attempt to make mini baked churro doughnuts and promised a follow-up post on the tins I used. I know this has been much anticipated (I’m fully aware this is quite a niche post…) so I’m finally writing it.

I started off using a Wilton 12 hole pan that was around £10 and as previously mentioned, was a birthday present from my excellent husband who also got me the Bread Ahead doughnut class. This is clearly a hobby he has a vested interest in, which I am sure is not the source of his encouragement, but it does help.

The first attempt at making the doughnuts I way overdid them (I didn’t mention this before…) and they were stuck in the pan so badly, I had to soak it for a while to get them out before I could try again. Next time around I sat on the floor and watched the doughnuts, ready to pounce as soon as they looked ready. This worked, but they still were a bit stuck and I had to use a skewer to ease/pull them out. Some ripped as a result but the sugar coating at least acted as a glue to hold them together where the damage wasn’t too bad.

Each time I re-used the pan, they seemed to stick more and more until I got so scared ahead of the wedding I was baking for, I decided I needed another pan as backup as I didn’t have time to faff around trying to get the doughnuts out or worrying it wouldn’t be possible. So I went for another alternative I found on a popular shopping website and this was manufactured by Judge and priced at £12. It was 12 holes again and here I just want to pause with a little bit of a rant: why make something for mini baked items so small – surely if you are making mini items that doesn’t mean you are necessarily doing a small batch. If I just wanted to fill the 12 holes, I think I would have needed less than one egg for the recipe and that’s just being silly. It would have been helpful to have one that did at least 16 or even 24 doughnuts at one time so the whole process didn’t take hours purely because of the lack of holes. I get that the manufacturer is probably trying to make me buy two, but I would rather pay more for a bigger one!

Moving back to the Judge baking tin, the first time I used it I realised that the Wilton one was rubbish or my one, in particular, had no non-stick application to it. The Judge doughnuts came out immediately and also were a lot smoother as they didn’t get stuck – they, therefore, looked a lot more appetising. This made the process a lot easier as it was one lot out and the next lot straight in without needing to thoroughly wash it in between. However, I re-used it about a month later after the wedding baking marathon, and some of the non-stick had gone. I think it might have been because I used it so much in a short space of time or already did around 6 month’s of use in 6 hours. Whatever the reason, it was a bit disappointing.

 

I’m going to try again soon but if I have the same issue, I may have to try and do the DIY tin or find another alternative and the next best one looks to be £25, which means the cost of the mini doughnuts I make is seriously going up…



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *